Sunday, September 8, 2013

Where Are You Going and How Are You Going To Get There? Part 2 – I Can Figure It Out Myself



So have you ever been driving and you think you know where you’re going. But in actuality, you have no clue?  Or maybe the GPS is telling you where to go. But obviously is as clueless as you are. It keeps saying, “Please make a legal u-turn,” as you continue driving in circles.

Even though your back seat driver insists you should stop and ask for directions, you are determined to keep pushing on.  You think if you just drive long enough, surely you will recognize something or see a sign that gets you back on track.

This happens all the time for friends coming to our house in the country. If you don’t know where you are going, you can drive for hours and never find the house.

Why is it that we are so determined to try and figure it out ourselves? 

Why are we so hesitant to stop and ask for help?  (You know who you are!)

Is it because we think we should know where we are going?  Maybe we’ve even been down this road before, so we should remember? Is it a sign of weakness or even failure to admit we don’t know? 

Are we concerned others will think we don’t know what we’re doing? (I bet they already know. They’re either in the car or waiting for you to arrive.)  Or do we not want to be a bother by asking others for help?

Isn’t it awesome that our Heavenly Father knew we’d need lots of help!  He sent Holy Spirit on special assignment to be our Helper!  He always knows we’re we are going and how to get there.  All we have to do is ask! 

So next time instead of saying, “I can figure it out myself.”  Save a lot of time and frustration.  Stop and say, “Holy Spirit, Help!”


Think About It
  • Where do you need direction?
  • What are you trying to figure out?
  • What is causing you stress right now?
  • What is the Lord saying to you about your situation?

Now Do Something About It
  • Ask for Help!  (Either the Holy Spirit or maybe you need to ask a person!)
  • Spend time praying in the Holy Spirit.
  • Spend time reading scriptures to build your confidence that God is leading you in the right direction
           
    Jeremiah 29:11, Proverbs 3:5-6,
            Phil 4:6-9, I John 4:16-19,
           
    Matthew 6:25-34, Matthew 11:28-30
  • Stop trying to figure everything out.

Say this out loud:

“Holy Spirit, Help. Thank you Lord for leading and guiding me every step of the way. You know what you are doing, so I am not going to try to figure it out. I trust you with my life. I hear and do what you tell me to do when you tell me to do it. I will always be in the right place at the right time with the right people doing the right thing. I know you love me and you have great plans for my life.
 

John 14:26-27  (AMP)
26 But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you.
27 Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.]



“Don’t be shy about asking for help.  It doesn’t mean you’re weak, it only means you’re wise.” --Unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment